Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Jim Denevan

Jim Denevan is an artist that makes temporary drawings on sand, ice, and earth.  They are incredible and I can't imagine how long it must take.  It also really impresses me that he can think of things on such a large scale and piece them together so perfectly by what seems like free hand talent (I'm not really sure how he does it so perfectly).  

"When I'm doing a drawing, I'm personifying the place that is empty. A place that is unmarked."


"People always ask how it feels to have them wash away," adds Denevan, "but who would want it not to wash away?"

Personally, I think I would have a difficult time spending so much time on something that does just go away, but I guess at least he gets a picture out of it!  And what great pictures they are...

Here is some of his work:

SAND: Created through the use of a large stick









EARTH: Created using tire tracks






ICE: Created using various equipment and machines





To view more on the ice project visit: ice

To view more photos and the artist's website visit: Jim Denevan

Jim is also a chef and does a traveling farm dinner called "Outstanding in the Field".

No comments:

Post a Comment