Friday, May 13, 2011

Heineken goes to Wieden + Kennedy

In 2008 Heineken released their Walk in Fridge commercial created by the UK's King Cross agency.
I think this commercial is great!  Funny to both men and women and I just love the surprising twist at the end the first time you see it. 

For a while W+K managed Heineken's account.  However, it was lost to Euro RSCG in 2009.  In 2009 W+K came up with the Give Yourself a Good Name campaign.


 This campaign was carried over to RSCG with the below commercial that was released in 2010. 

I'm not too crazy about this campaign.  It is alright, but I don't think it really did much to boost Heineken shares or increase brand loyalty and I think it was minimally discussed among consumers.

In 2010 they turned to some guerrilla marketing.  They also launched a viral campaign called Men with Talent in which men could showcase their many beer drinking talents for the internet world to see. 

Now the Heineken account is back with Wieden + Kennedy and they have began the Open your World campaign.
This commercial, called "The Entrance", rolled out earlier this year.
I absolutely love this commercial!  It is entertaining and brings a whole new look to Heineken that I think could really work for them.


However, one thing I can't help but notice is this ads similarities to the Dos Equis Most Interesting Man in the World campaign that was created by Euro RSCG.  One more thing to note is that in early 2010 Heineken bought Mexican beer companies Dos Equis and Sol

Also great ads.  I am more of an IPA gal, but these ads make me want to drink a Dos Equis!

Both ads (Most Interesting Man in the World and The Entrance) use international mystery men as the main appeal. 

Perhaps this is just coincidence?  Perhaps Heineken and W+K are trying to play off this past campaigns success?

No comments:

Post a Comment