Thursday, April 21, 2011

Alternative Art

I have been finding my way to some very different, and interesting art lately and I love the creativity behind it!

First I have been seeing a lot of shadow art.  Below is an example and here is a website that showcases a lot more installations, definitely check it out:  Shadow Art
I love how the parts that make the picture mean little without the shadow they create.  The work on the site is done by artists Kumi Yamashita, Tim Noble, and Sue Webster.

Next is artist Brian Dettmer who calls himself the "Book Surgeon".  His art is created by cutting apart books to show words and pictures inside the book, while also creating unique shapes and pictures of the book as a whole.  If that was confusing, best just look at the examples below to further clarify and check out more images and find additional information at:  Book Surgeon




The video below is entitled "Going West" by Maurice Gee.  Going along with the book theme this short is created by cutting out shapes and bringing them to life within a book to tell a whole new story.  Love this! To see the actual link visit:  Going West

This next artist, Bruno Catalano, I discovered while I was in Paris.  I saw a collection of his sculptures in a studio and attempted to take some pictures (resulting in me getting threatened to be kicked out). So I will have to resort to these second-hand photos.  The artist creates sculptures in which the middle part is missing and they typically have a small point of connection, making the sculptures sometimes seem impossible (see briefcase connecting in image below).  To see more of his work visit:  Bruno Catalano



Another paper artist, Peter Callesen, explores the connections between 2 and 3 dimensionality through the use of a single sheet of paper.  I cannot imagine how long it would take to do some of these things, but they are truly amazing!  To see more of his work visit:  Peter Callesen






The final artist, Korean born Ran Hwang, creates her images using buttons and pins.

"My immense wall installations are extremely time consuming and repetitive manual work," says Hwang. "This is a form of meditative practice that helps me find my inner peace. Pins are used to hold buttons onto the surface to form a silhouetted image, or to disintegrate such image. No adhesive is used so the buttons are free to stay and move, which implies the genetic human tendency to be irresolute. I use buttons because they are common and ordinary, like the existence of human beings."

Her creations are very beautiful.  To see more of her work visit: Ran Hwang 




No comments:

Post a Comment