Friday, March 8, 2013

Benny Gets a Facelift: New Oregon State Logo

Oregon State University, to which I am an alumni, recently partnered with Nike's Graphic Identity Group in the recent revamp of the Oregon State logo and iconic mascot Benny the Beaver.

The school , established in 1868, has seen a few evolutions of their identity. The days of old used this friendly critter (1951-1999):



In 2000 the logo was redesigned to what is often referred to as "the angry beaver". Although really I think he looks a little confused and frightened. But sure, let's call it angry.


Accompanying the angry beaver was an interlocking OS. Dropping the U in what I imagine was a strategy to separate the school from other large school's going by OSU, particularly Oklahoma State University who coincidentally has the exact same colors as well. The OSU of the midwest. Or south. Or whatever Oklahoma associates itself with.

 

Which brings us to the new logo. The sleek beaver? The fast beaver? The slightly terrifying beaver? While I do like this logo and think it is a definite improvement over its predecessor, there is one thing that bothers me every gosh darn time I look at it. And that is what I imagine to be his ear. To me it looks awkward and out of place. Like it was an afterthought. "Hey, should we put an ear on this thing?" Followed by what I imagine to be a pin the tail on the donkey type effort. So maybe I'm exaggerating a little, it's not so bad. It has apparently grown on me in the time it has taken me to gripe about it in this paragraph, so I digress.


And a new typographic treatment of which I am a big fan. The script resembles that of the old angry beaver logo, but is sexier x1,000.


The new logo and type are also accompanied by brand new snazzy uniforms.



Pretty sharp. Hopefully the new sleek look will help Oregon State Athletics to attract new recruits and build their brand image to be comparable to that of our neighbors down south.


Thanks papa Phil and the Nike Graphic Identity team!

2 comments: