Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Vintage (and rather sexist) Ads

The 1930's, the good old days of advertising, when an ad just wasn't an ad unless it came with a heavy dose of sexism.  While perhaps these are rather offensive and demeaning, in this day and age I can't help but find them absolutely hilarious.

Is this not every woman's dream come true?  Yes- Please do blow large quantities of smoke in my face while I gaze dreamily into your eyes.

I do enjoy cooking...

Shoes, yup that'll do it. 

 That just looks uncomfortable, a shirt and tie in bed?

I know you probably can't read this lavish story about a man trying to convince a woman that the postage meter is far superior to former methods of post, but she doesn't give in until she places a pink bow on the machine to make it "cute" - but the best line: "She acts like an early Christian about to be lunch for a lion."

Valid point.  I would have had difficulties climbing a flimsy rope up the side of a mountain in whatever crazy getup I am sure that woman is wearing.  Perhaps if she had been wearing a Drummond climbing sweater she'd be in better hands.


 Obviously.

 I do think women are generally worse drivers...

Heaven forbid!  

"After one look at those Mr. Leggs slacks, she was ready to have him walk all over her."

This just looks wrong.

Was ketchup not twist off prior?

Was the thought bubble intentionally left blank?



I wonder if anyone used this...

 I just love this one.


"Be the you he likes.  Good to be around any day of the month."  Don't take Midol for your terrible pain, take it so that you can be a little more peppy and pleasant to be around for Mr. Feathered Hair. 


Also, sexism aside, what was soda's thing for babies?


Annnnnnd just to wrap things up, lets throw in a modern day ad:
Dr. Pepper 10, it's not for women.

No comments:

Post a Comment